Sunday, September 28, 2008

New York Journal - Part Four

Urgh. There have been better mornings.

Let's cheer up through another fabulous, adventure-filled blog post!


September 18, 2008

I feel great!

My schedule is getting crammed, and it's killing me! Slutty Puppets or experimental Beckett? Wooster Group rehearsal or ANGER/NATION? Bowery Poetry Club or Boog City Book Fair? Madness!

Saw my first Broadway show last night: Spring Awakening. It starred the older brother from Weeds. It sucked.

I like musicals; they're cheesy and excessive and fun. But the songs had no heart, and the narrative was uncomfortably moralistic, and there wasn't an ending, just an ensemble song-and-dance number that didn't resolve anything. Boo.

It's kind of nice to see crap on Broadway, though. A reaffirmation that I need innovation and experiment. Screw the mainstream!

Except for Rent. And possibly Avenue Q.

The bartender's finger is bleeding. Go team sanitation.

I'm attracted to dark pubs. Perhaps I should adjust my preference?

After that veggie burger I just ate, the answer is an unqualified yes. Need to start eating better, Hopkins, you motherfucker.

---

May be time to go off booze for a while.

Just checked out the Luxe Gallery, which had a comforting familiarity. Very New Gallery... no, more Stride. Anyway, a very artist-run vibe. Had some neat photography and video going on, especially this antique music video machine thing playing a ridiculous film shot in a wrestling ring.

I wish I were having more, y'know, life revelations or whatever. Well, I've had one. No more publicity. Keep working with Ghost River, keep publicizing my own shows, but that's it. I don't enjoy it. I get stressed. Time to stop.

I like the freedom here. I have my own schedule, and no expectations. Not realistic in "real life", tho. I put down roots, and I need income. Need to balance the day job with life.

Maybe Swallow-a-Bicycle can start paying. That'd rule.

Tonight: The Image by Samuel Beckett, in (presumably) its original French. Cool? Fingers crossed.

Then, maybe a movie.

No comments: