Sunday, November 23, 2008

Caffeine Nation

I learned a lot about Starbucks tonight.

I learned that their big bucket 'o coffee is not called a "Travel Kit", but rather a "Coffee Traveller".

After confusing the barista at the Memorial Drive Starbucks by asking for a "Travel Kit", I learned that the Memorial Drive Starbucks was out of "Coffee Travellers".

I learned that, near my home, there are (at least) three Starbucks in a ten-block radius: the Memorial Drive, Bridgeland and Centre Street locations.

I learned that these three locations are buddies. Upon discovering they were out of "Coffee Travellers", Memorial Drive called Bridgeland to get the phone number for Centre Street, to ask Centre Street to prepare a "Coffee Traveller" full of "Home Brew" (which is more popular than "Dark Roast") so it would be ready when I arrived.

I learned that cute young baristas will take pity on a hapless non-coffee drinker and tell him that, yes, people do generally appreciate the inclusion of cream and sugar.

I learned that cute young baristas will accept the request for a "small but delicious variety of pastries" as a personal challenge. They will select, among others items, a slice of lemon loaf, a mint brownie and a raspberry-triangle-thing.

I learned that a "Coffee Traveller" and seven pastries cost $28 and change.

I learned that a "Coffee Traveller" contains more than enough coffee for five board members, who, despite the public announcement, were the only people who showed up for CYPT's Annual General Meeting.

I learned that caffeine and sugar greatly enhance the entertainment value of an AGM.

Those are the things I learned about Starbucks tonight. I have a slice of lemon loaf and a mint brownie in my kitchen, if anyone's interested.

No comments: